Installing LightUp on Windows

Anything you want to share!
amelzer

Re: Installing LightUp on Windows

Postby amelzer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Hello,

I am using SketchUp 2014 and am having the same install issues as jimkee with the dialog box called LightUp Loader that says "LightUp is missing files. Please re-install."

It was suggested that downloading the latest version of LightUp would solve the problem. I received an email from LightUp yesterday saying there was a new version to download, which I have, but the problem persists.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

guitarpickman

Postby guitarpickman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:51 pm

Sketchup 2015 in USA (others ?) automatically tries to place (by default) the program into "Program Files". You must tell it to place it into "Program Files (x86)"
If you do not do this, Lightup will not work, as it copies files into "Program Files (x86)".

Water effects: the string "_watershader" is placed into the top section of the box description, for your texture options. Be sure you push the TEXTURE dimensions to 300.00 when first testing it, and in Sketchup keep your size approx. the size of a swimming pool. If you do not push the dimensions very large, you will not see it working. It will be too small to see.

guitarpickman

Postby guitarpickman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:24 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Currently, SketchUp Pro 2015 will only install into x86 if you have installed the 32-bit version.

Regarding you other question; that is the correct folder for extensions in SketchUp Pro 2015.

Users/ (Your Name) /AppData/Roaming/Sketchup/Sketchup2015/Sketchup/Plugins

Also note that SketchUp Pro has introduced some changes for Ruby scripting which may have affected the extensions that you use. Many extension developers have updated their extensions to be compatible with the current SketchUp Pro 2015, but there may be some extensions that are not compatible yet. We recommend following the steps below when upgrading to SketchUp Pro 2015 and installing extensions:

1. Install 2015 compatible extension(s) via the Extension Warehouse.
2. Install 2015 non-compatible extension(s) via the Extension Warehouse.
3. Install via SketchUp preferences (for .rbz files which are found outside of the Extension Warehouse).
4. Contact extension authors directly to find out if they have any 2015 updates to their extensions.
5. Manually move an installed extension from an older version of SketchUp if no .rbz is available (we do not recommend this method if avoidable).

The information above is described in more detail in these Knowledge Center articles regarding the installation of extensions for SketchUp Pro 2015:

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000029 (Migrating Plugins, Materials, and Components from previous versions)

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000050 (SketchUp Plugin Compatibility)

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/38583 (Installing Ruby Plugins/Extensions)

If desired, here are some links to review for more general information about SketchUp Pro 2015:

http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketch ... ew-in-2015

http://sketchupdate.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... -2015.html

Regards,
The SketchUp Team

medoramas

Postby medoramas » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi,

I've just purchased LightUp, but SU 2016 Pro does not let me install in. There is no problem installing the demo version, but no success with the "retail" file...

It is the .rbz file. I find it in the Window-Preferences-Extensions, select it, get question "do you want to install this Extension?", "yes"....

And then "SketchUp was unable to install the Extension you have chosen for some unknown reason. Consult your Extension's documentation for additional help".

Any suggestions what should I do?

The demo was installed in the same way... I don't know how to uninstall the demo - if that is the problem!

Thanks a lot!

AdamB
Site Admin

Postby AdamB » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:53 pm

medoramas wrote:Hi,

I've just purchased LightUp, but SU 2016 Pro does not let me install in. There is no problem installing the demo version, but no success with the "retail" file...

It is the .rbz file. I find it in the Window-Preferences-Extensions, select it, get question "do you want to install this Extension?", "yes"....

And then "SketchUp was unable to install the Extension you have chosen for some unknown reason. Consult your Extension's documentation for additional help".

Any suggestions what should I do?

The demo was installed in the same way... I don't know how to uninstall the demo - if that is the problem!

Thanks a lot!

We've moved over to using the SketchUp built-in installer for Windows LightUp. You may have a demo installed using the old non-Sketchup installer, so best to go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and uninstall ALL versions of LightUp.

Next, just to be sure, remove any existing LightUp .rbz by deleting:

{Home FOLDER}/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp XXXX/Sketchup/Plugins/lightup

Finally, launch Sketchup, go to Windows->Preferences->Extension and Install Extension..

Adam
Developer of LightUp http://www.light-up.co.uk

medoramas

Postby medoramas » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:22 am

Worked like a treat! :D Many thanks, Adam!

hi47

Postby hi47 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Hello,

I'm currently having the same problem when I try to install my retail file. I get the response "SketchUp was unable to install the Extension you have chosen for some unknown reason. Consult your Extension's documentation for additional help".

I already ran the lightup uninstaller as well but there is no change.
Please Help.

AdamB
Site Admin

Postby AdamB » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:16 am

This (not very helpful) message from Sketchup shows if you still have an old version of LightUp installed.

Sketchup looks for Plugins in a few places, so if you've run Uninstallers for all versions of LightUp, check:

Windows hides the AppData folder from you, so you may have to open Explorer, and in the textbox type:

%appdata%

to show it and navigate down to the Plugins folder so you remove any old LightUp files.

Lastly, check:

C:/Program Data/SketchUp XXXX/Sketchup/Plugins

Now launch SketchUp, confirm there is no LightUp and use "Install Extension.." with your new .rbz

Adam

hi47

Postby hi47 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:20 pm

AdamB wrote:This (not very helpful) message from Sketchup shows if you still have an old version of LightUp installed.

Sketchup looks for Plugins in a few places, so if you've run Uninstallers for all versions of LightUp, check:

Windows hides the AppData folder from you, so you may have to open Explorer, and in the textbox type:

%appdata%

to show it and navigate down to the Plugins folder so you remove any old LightUp files.

Lastly, check:

C:/Program Data/SketchUp XXXX/Sketchup/Plugins

Now launch SketchUp, confirm there is no LightUp and use "Install Extension.." with your new .rbz

Adam

Hi Adam, I'm actually using a macbook not windows.How do I go about this on my mac?
Thanks.

AdamB
Site Admin

Postby AdamB » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:54 pm

On Macintosh there are 2 locations:

MacintoshHD:/Library/Application Support/Sketchup 2016/SketchUp/Plugins

And also a hidden folder which you can reveal by opening Finder and typing: Shift+Apple+G

and typing: ~/Library

and then navigating to Application Support/Sketchup 2016/SketchUp/Plugins

Adam

Return to “Miscellaneous”